Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
From September 2021, pupils in the nursery and reception classes follow the new Statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage which ensures that children learn and develop well and are kept healthy and safe. It promotes teaching and learning to ensure children are ready for school and gives children the broad range of knowledge and skills that provide the right foundation for good future progress through school and life. In EYFS, we follow four guiding principles:
- every child is a unique child, who is constantly learning and can be resilient, capable, confident and self-assured;
- children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships;
- children learn and develop well in enabling environments, in which their experiences respond to their individual needs and there is a strong partnership between practitioners and parents and/or carers; and
- children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
The framework covers the education and care of all children in early years provision, including children with special educational needs and disabilities.
Our youngest children follow 7 areas of learning:
The 3 prime areas comprise of:
- Communication and language
- Physical development
- Personal, social and emotional development
The 4 specific areas comprise of:
- Expressive arts and design
- Knowledge of the world
We also support parents and carers to promote oral hygiene and health for their child – click here to find out more.